Moving home, regardless of how small the move is, is a very demanding and stressful experience. Now imagine that you have to move to a new country, where you leave all your old life behind and move to a new country with a different culture and where you probably don’t know anyone as this is an experience that can be daunting for any person. Fortunately, when you are moving abroad, you can make the experience less stressful with proper planning and preparation. Below is a look at some of the top tips on how you can plan and prepare for moving overseas.
1. Save enough money for the move
If you have moved before, you are aware that it takes a lot of money to move, even if you are just moving a short distance away. Moving overseas is much worse in terms of money, where you will incur higher moving costs such as air tickets, shipping charges (for your items), insurance, taxation, visa, work permit, and others. In addition, you have to consider the cost of living in a new country, which is more likely to be higher.
Moving abroad is thus a very heavy financial burden, which you might not be able to handle if you just decide to park and leave. Therefore, you should start preparing for the move early in advance and make sure you have enough money to cover all your moving expenses. This means that you have to start saving (discussed at http://www.thefrisky.com/2010-04-21/moving-abroad-money-tips/), which you can achieve by reducing your expenses for a number of months before the move until you have saved enough. When preparing to move overseas, you should also plan your finances to make sure that you have enough money to support you for a number of months in the new country before you stabilise. This is especially if you don’t have a job waiting for you in the new country.
2. Start planning the move early in advance
Moving is a very significant undertaking, which requires a great deal of consideration, time, and effort. The task is even more demanding and daunting when you are moving abroad due to the numerous tasks that are involved budgeting for the move, travel arrangement, shipping of your items, customs clearances, documents, and several others. As a result, when you are considering to move to another country overseas, you should start planning the move early in advance, preferably several months before the date you are scheduled to move.
Early planning will help to ensure that you have saved up enough money for the move and to cater for your living expenses once you get to the new country. It also gives you enough time to complete various important tasks such as:
– Acquiring travel documents: when moving abroad, you will require a long-term visa, proper travel documents, and other documents such as a work permit.
– Housing/accommodation: before you move, you must take care of your old house (sell it or cancel the lease). You should also find a new house or temporary accommodation (until you find a more permanent housing solution) in the country you are moving to.
– Canceling subscriptions: make sure that you cancel all subscriptions you have (cable, phone, the internet, magazine, Netflix, etc.
– Re-routing your mails to another address.
– Informing the tax authorities of your move to ensure that you are not taxed when you are away.
3. Pack your items
Packing is one of the most important moving tasks that can make your move smooth or very frustrating depending on how you carry it. It is even more important when you are moving overseas, as everything you pack will have to be shipped to the new country. Therefore, you should make sure that you pack efficiently for your move abroad by following these tips:
– Go through all the items you own and carefully consider what you are going to need when moving, and then sell, donate, or get rid of anything else that you do not need. Also, you should consider selling some of the stuff that might be too expensive to carry with you; for example, cars, some furniture, and other large items. You can then use the money received from the sale to buy new stuff once you arrive in your new country.
– Find good packaging containers that will help to make the packing easier and more organized.
– Pack efficiently to ensure that you reduce the space your items occupies as much as possible. This will help to ensure that you reduce the cost of shipping your goods as much as possible, thus helping you save money on the move.
– Make sure you pack all your items early in advance to avoid the last minute rush, where you can forget packing important items you are going to need in your new home.
4. Find a reliable moving company
When you are moving overseas, you should make sure that you hire a very reliable moving company to ensure that the move is as smooth as possible. Therefore, you should research various removal companies that offer overseas removal services and ask them to provide you with a quote for their services. This will help you to narrow down to the moving company list to include the most affordable moving services.
When you are hiring a moving company, you should also consider a company that offers insurance services to ensure that all your items are protected during transit. This will help to mitigate the risk of your items being damaged or lost, as well as ensure that you are compensated in case of anything. It is also a good idea to hire a removals company that offers storage services (as offered by http://wynnesremovals.co.uk/storage/) in case you need to store some of your stuff in a secure place before you settle down in the new country.
Lastly, you should also make sure that you the moving company you hire is very familiar with the area you are moving to, which will help to make smoother and faster. For example, if you are moving to Brighton in the UK, you should hire a removals company that operates in the Brighton area.
5. Make travel arrangements
After you have saved for the move, planned and packed, and then found yourself a good moving company, the only thing remaining is to make travel arrangements for your new home. This involves booking air tickets (which should be done early in advance to help you save more money), making sure that all your travel documents (visa and passport) are in order, and undergoing a health check. You should also make the necessary arrangements with your moving company for when they can pick and ship your stuff (note that overseas removals take quite some time, and thus it is advisable to ship your items before your departure to avoid a lengthy waiting period).
Moving abroad can be a very exciting prospect, where you have the chance to start a new life altogether. However, the task of moving to a new country is very demanding and can be very stressful, more stressful than any move you have ever made. Fortunately, you can be able to make the move less stressful with the above tips, ensuring that you have an easy time when preparing, moving, and starting your new life in another country.